London born Irish bred Martin O’Neill is an illustrator & artist who creates collages for a wide range of International clients encompassing publishing, advertising, design & installation work. His work can be seen frequently in the UK and US press. He regularly exhibits his personal collages, sketchbooks and prints & is a visiting lecturer across the UK. He lives and works on England’s South East coast with his wife and two daughters.
“If Peter Blake is the Paul McCartney of collage, then O’Neill is its Tom Waits, a pre-digital artist for a post-digital age. “
John L Walters. Editor Eye Magazine Eye 69
Martin’s work evolves from a subtle alchemy of collage, silkscreen, photography, paint, and digital techniques. Years of hands on studio experimentation has resulted in his unique and instantly recognisable style of image making. Martin works from a large archive of found and self generated material and also works with stock and supplied imagery.
Selection of Publications & Press
- Pecha Kucha talk. This is All Rubbish. De La Warr Pavillion. UK. 2016
- American Illustration AI35 Winner. Animation. Bettine Le Leau – A Lucky Girl. 2016.
- Bettine Le Leau – A Lucky Girl. Official selection. Asthetica Short Film Festival. 2015.
- American Illustration AI DART Arts Daily. Q&A with Peggy Roalf. 2015.
- ZDF German TV. Interview for Holocaust Memorial Day. 2015.
- Bettine Le Beau – Lucky Girl. Film for HMDT. #MemoryMakers. 2015.
- Eye Magazine/ Eye 88. ‘To have and to hold’. 2014.
- American Illustration 33. 2 images selected. 2014.
- It’s Nice That – Nicer Tuesdays. Slide talk. 2013.
- The 3×3 Illustration Directory. Volume 13. 2013.
- Pop Psychedelic. Last Gasp. Singapore. 2012.
- Creative Review. The Annual. 2011.
- The 3×3 Illustration Directory. Volume 10. 2011.
- Varoom. Paul Burgess. Collage Special. Q and A. 2010.
- FEFE Magazine. Italy. By Invitation. 2009.
- Illustrative 09. Dogs & Dice. Best Book Shortlisted. Berlin. 2009.
- What is Illustration? Lawrence Zeegen. Rotovision. 2009.
- V&A. Shortlisted Illustrated Book Award. Dogs & Dice. 2009.
- Dogs & Dice. Martin O’Neill. Cut it Out 2008.
- Varoom Magazine. Review of Dogs & Dice. Adrian Shaughnessy. 2008.
- Eye magazine. Eye 69. Review of Dogs & Dice. Autumn 2008.
- American Illustration. AI27. 2008.
- Instant Graphics. Interview & 15 page feature. RotoVision. 2007.
- EYE magazine. EYE 61. Review of CATALOG. Luke Pendrell. Autumn 2006.
- CATALOG. Two Graphic Collections. Cutitout Publishing. 2006.
- Basics Illustration 2. Thinking Visually. AVA Thames and Hudson. 2007.
- Basics Illustration 1. Text and Image. AVA Thames and Hudson. 2006.
- Digital Illustration. Lawrence Zeegen. Rotovision 2005.
- 3×3 Magazine. The Magazine of Contemporary Illustration. Issue 4. 2005.
- Clin d’ Oeil. A New look at Contemporary Illustration. Pao Paws 2005.
- Stage Fright. Ltd Edition Artists LP. Found Sound Collage. 3.09 mins.
- Life fm. 101.4 fm. Guest / Interview. Harlseden, London. 2005.
- The Annual. Issue 2. 3×3‘s 100 best illustrations of 2004. USA 2004.
- American Illustration 23. Selection for permanent web – archive. 2004.
- Contact Illustrators. Efandel. 15 – 25 / 1998 – 2008.
- Images 26. The Best of British Illustration. The A.O.I. 2002.
- Graphics International Magazine. Showcase on new talent. 1997.
Exhibitions & Projects
- 2015 – Narkolepsy Film Festival – Bettine Le Beau – A Lucky Girl. Grenoble. France.
- 2015 – FourPlay – Unlimited. Group Show. BoxPark. Shoreditch. London.
- 2014 – LIGHT. Alvarado Gallery. Light Eye Mind. N5 London.
- 2014 – Hi Fest. Hastings 1st Illustration Festival. Workshop. Hastings.
- 2014 – PZ+ Ceiling Collage Installation. 35m². Stayrooms. Luxembourg.
- 2014 – Grolsch. Mercatus Awards. Live Collage. The Mayfair Hotel. London.
- 2014 – Caple Gardens. Private Showcase. Original Collages.
- 2013 – Coastal Currents. Cut it Out Studio. Hastings.
- 2013 – Found. We Are Unlimited. Brighton.
- 2012 – Coastal Currents. Cut it Out Studio. Hastings.
- 2012 – Pain at the Dentists. Alvarado Gallery Hackney London.
- 2011 – SpeakEasy. The Gladstone Hotel, Toronto. Canada.
- 2011 – Recycle. Arts Forum St Leonards on Sea. UK.
- 2010 – Survive. LMU Alumni. Broadcasting Place. Leeds.
- 2009 – Illustrative 09. Dogs & Dice. Shortlisted. Berlin.
- 2009 – Coastal Currents. Cut it Out Studio. Hastings.
- 2009 – Reg Perfect & The Squeegees. Portman Gallery. London.
- 2009 – Hammertime. Auction. Jaguar Shoes Gallery. London.
- 2008 – Dogs & Dice. Book launch & show. The Coningsby Gallery. London.
- 2006 – London College of Communication. University of the Arts. London.
- 2006 – ‘Etre Avoir’ The Paperworks Gallery. Hastings.
- 2006 – Design Week 20 best covers of 20 years. Coningsby Gallery. London.
- 2006 – Catalog. Two Graphic Collections. Coningsby Gallery. London.
- 2006 – Graphic Line. Stratton Gallery. Hastings.
- 2006 – Mind Invasion 1067. St. Marys in the Castle Gallery. Hastings.
- 2005 – Stage Fright. Ltd Edition Artists LP. Sound Collage. 3.09 mins.
- 2005 – Stuck on Me. Group Show. Notting Hill Arts Club. London.
- 2005 – Strange Love. Group Show. Hastings Museum.
- 2003 – Prints. Queens Street East Gallery. Toronto.
- 2002 – Three. The Coningsby Gallery. London.
- 2001 – Queens Head & Artichoke Gallery. Solo show. Regents Park. London.
- 2001 – Made in Clerkenwell. Clerkenwell Studios. London.
- 2000 – Images 26. AOI. The Royal College of Art . London.
- 1999 – Scenes of the Crime. Film installation. The Bongo Club. Edinburgh Fringe.
- 1999 – Booze Horse. Solo Show. The Forum. Sheffield.
- 1997 – The Tricycle Theatre Gallery. Solo show. London.
- 1995 – Jump Leeds. Slaughterhouse Gallery. Smithfields. London.
- 1993 – Arresting Images. With Alex Williamson. Leeds Polytechnic.
Represented by Illustration Agencies
© Martin O’Neill 2015. Cut It Out Limited. All rights reserved.
Please do not reproduce or display, digitally or otherwise, any imagery or text without prior written permission.
Website by Danielle Mullis